Pet Allergy & Dermatology
Diagnose and treat skin conditions.
Your dog shouldn’t be itching and scratching all the time. We can help!
Hair loss and constant scratching can indicate fleas, food allergies or other more serious skin conditions. When left untreated, these conditions can become serious health concerns and can compromise your pet’s quality of life. Animal Medical Center diagnoses and treats dermatological problems that can be bothersome to your pet and you. Sometimes all that is needed is better flea control. In more serious conditions there has been great advances in pharmacology to help dermatological patients. We are happy to help.
Common symptoms of skin disease:
- Does your pet constantly lick, chew, bite, scratch or shake his or her head? This is not normal.
- Is there hair loss, scabs or dandruff?
- Do you notice a change in the skin or coat’s color or texture?
- Is there a bad odor from the pet’s skin or ears?
Common skin diseases are caused by, and include the following:
- Environmental contaminants
- Mites (i.e. sarcoptic mange, demodecosis)
- Autoimmune skin diseases
- Superficial and deep skin infections
- Skin masses
Common tests used to assure an accurate diagnosis include:
- Intra-dermal allergy testing
- Blood tests
- Skin biopsies
Treatment depends on the diagnosis, but may include:
- Food allergy trial diets
- Medicated Baths with special shampoos
- Compounded medications
- Pharmacological intervention.
Call us at (843) 524-0198 to schedule a consultation.